We hope you will do some of your holiday shopping with us. We have almost everything else to make your meal delicious and a little more local and organic. We don’t have turkeys—but let us know if next year you would like to order one from us.
Open on Thanksgiving from 7 to noon for your last minute needs.
For you we have:
- Serendipity’s cranberry sauce…two types.
- Pane d’Amore stuffing mix
- Fresh sprigs of sage and rosemary
- Sweet potatoes–they are so good baked at 425—no need for the marshmallows to make them sweet and tasty
- celery –very important for stuffing and Waldorf salad—see my lighter version below
- Straus Whipping cream–nothing richer
- Premade refrigerated pie crusts both regular and graham cracker.
- Canned pumpkin …to make a pie filling
- Fresh cranberries–making your own is soo easy (buying Serendipity’s is even easier) and MUCH better than canned.
- And of course a great selection of wines and alcohol.
Mention this email and you will get 10% off of any one of the listed items (limit one bottle of wine or alcohol)
We have changed over towinter hours-–so please note the changes.
Monday thru Thursday we are open 7 to 7.
Friday hours 7AM to 8PM
Saturday 8 to 8.
Sunday 8 to 7PM.
Recipe for Cass’s Better Waldorf Salad..
Fresh salad greens–I like a mix.
Pecans toasted for 10 mins at 250—I use my toaster oven and broken up a little
Thinly sliced celery
Right before serving cut an apple into thin bite sized slices
Optional—dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds
Dressing—Seasoned Rice vinegar (available at QVS) and olive olive oil with a grating of lemon rind.
Assemble the lettuce, celery, cranberries or pomegranate seeds. Top with the sliced apples, and pour dressing on the apples, add the toasted pecans and then toss. Pouring the dressing on the apples helps keep them from discoloring. adding nuts last keeps them a little crisper.
Amounts and proportions are up to you. I tend to use a little more oil than vinegar but traditionally most recipes say 3 oil to 1 vinegar. I always cut the oil back from that…but the seasoned rice vinegar is very mild so you can use even less oil.
Happy turkey day to you all!!!
> The stores are getting some of the basics for the holidays–spices, stuffing mix, etc. We have a good selection of baskets which can be filled for lovely gifts–wine, chocolate, hand made cards, tee shirts, lip balms etc. Something to make everyone happy.
> Join old and new friends in decorating the town! Come to the Christmas tree near the post office this Saturday at 8:30 AM and we will have lights to give out so we can light up the town! Come help. The following Saturday we will continue. It is great fun to do and it makes the dark nights a little brighter in Quilcene.
> The official Santa lighting of the Quilcene Christmas tree will take place Saturday Dec. 6th about 5 PM. Santa will arrive, cookies and juice will be served–come join the town for a song to kick of the season!
We have fresh oysters in pint jars—just what you need for dinner tonight!!! Oyster shooters, oyster stew, oyster pasta,deep fried, gumbo….here are 80 recipes for you. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/ingredients/seafood/shellfish/oysters/
Save the date– community event Sept 14.One Potato, Two Potato, Free Potato!
Quilcene Village Store is carrying produce from at least Frenetic, Dharma Ridge, Red Dog, Serendipity and Sisco (local) farms, I am so impressed with all the hard working farmers. We are fortunate to get produce grown within miles– on the day it is picked.
For a small sweet treat we have six new flavors of honey sticks—at 25 cents each. And the Kezita probiotic drinks come highly rated.
I also want to put a plug in for Jose’s in Sequim. He expanded his business to include a sit down restaurant–or take out.. We again ate there and it was so good…he has an amazing salsa bar so you can top off you tacos, burritos, etc. exactly as you want. Here is a link to Yelp reviews-
Discovery Bay Village Store has new flavors of ice cream including Bourbon Praline Ribbon, Mint Chip, and Blueberry Cream. They also have new hours—8 to 8 Seven days a week. Their phone number is 385-1380. QVS phone number is 765-0190.
SeaChange will be open at 10 to 8 on Saturdays until the supply increases. Last week they were able to open on Sunday also. The phone number there is 385-1320. And the web site is
The Discovery Bay store will have a very quiet opening tomorrow Friday June 6.
The ice cream is locally made, artisan quality, created by Olympic Mountain Ice Cream http://olympicmountainicecream.com/index.php. Check out their flavors. We can’t carry them all (just 8 at a time) but we will rotate the types and you might be able to help decide.
Oh, yes, there is more than hand scooped ice cream…the store is smaller than QVS but has an amazing selection of wonderful food—-many you will recognize from QVS. Drip coffee will be QuilBilly blend. There is a good selection of wines, beers and soft drinks, every type of chips( it seems) and some real food. When you stop by be patient, there are many unexpected challenges when opening a new store.
There will be a grand opening latter…maybe 4th of July weekend…with other exciting things happening at that time.
But stop by soon…DBVS will be open 7 days a week—8 to 8 I think. The store looks amazing inside—great work has been done. Let staff know what you want to see carried and we will see if it is possible. And you NEED ice cream cones.
1. We now give a 10 cent a gallon discount if you buy your gas with cash or a valid check. Does mean you have to go inside so it is only good for when the store is open. Of course the pumps accept credit cards 24/7. (I don’t like that expression, but it is handy)
2. We are opening the new store in Discovery Bay—the Discovery Bay Village Store. (DBVS) It will be part of a complex of stores We think there is going to be some sort of bungee jump (i don’t understand, you have to ask Greg), kayaks for rent, and other things yet to be determined. The tentative opening date is Memorial Day weekend. I will share more details when I have them.
3. Another new business that Greg is starting is Sea Change Cannabis. It will be a retail store in the log cabin next to .DBVS not QVS. It will open once Greg has appropriate supplies, security system, etc. It may still be possible to invest in SCC, Talk to Greg is you are interested. Your chance to be in on the bottom floor of a new industry.
4.For your entertainment: The Village Idiots are playing next Saturday, May 17th at the Coyle Community Center. It is a great venue to hear music and Norm Johnson does a great job in getting outstanding groups to play. Admission is by donation–which goes to the musicians. The Village Idiots are:
Quilcene’s own trio – Guitar & Vocals, Banjo, & Bass.
The Village Idiots play new, old, and re-imagined twang with a drop of the hard stuff.