Quilcene Village Store News…..Posted: March 5, 2013
The biggest news is that we are involved in a MARCH MATCH and need your help. We have a big red mail box for donations for the Worthington Mansion…If you give $25 dollars or more, you will get a tee shirt with a photo of the Mansion as it was once — complete with mansard roof. And you donation will go twice as far since the Village Store will match the first $1,000 donations. This is a great project for our community—it truly is 10 Acres of Possibility.
So please help us show that our great customers support this fantastic project. Any size donation is appreciated. Drop your change in as you go by if that is all you can spare one day…but give as much as you can…and donate your $25 early to get a good selection of tee shirt sizes.
You might have noticed the reader board mentions fish—it is a reminder to you that we are selling great line caught Cape Cleare Salmon (frozen whole) for 25% off. http://capecleare.com/ They have instructions for thawing and cooking. We also have oysters again.
Here is a recipe shared by one of our customers—everything can be purchased at QVS and it sounds tasty. Suppose to get cold tonight-so tomorrow might be the perfect day for:
Corn Chowder With Bacon and Mushrooms
1 Organic Sweet onion, diced
1 Organic bell Pepper seeded and diced
1 stalk Organic Celery, diced
6 Tablespoons of Organic sweet cream Butter ( do not substitute)
3 Tablespoons organic flour ( I use Spelt)
5 slices organic Bacon, diced
3 cups frozen Organic corn or 2 cans organic corn kernels drained
about 1 cup fresh mushrooms cleaned, de-stemmed, and sliced thinly
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
5 cups Organic chicken stock ( home made if possible) Use the chicken meat for another meal
1 1/2 cups organic heavy cream
salt to taste
1. Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy soup pot.
2. Sauté diced onion, bell pepper and Celery in melted butter until onion is tender and clear.
3. Add 3 Tablespoons of flour and stir over med. heat for 3 minutes. Then Add 5 diced slices of Bacon and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add frozen or drained canned corn, cumin,cayenne,paprika and 5 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Melt the remaining butter in a heavy sauté pan and sauté the mushrooms until tender. Reserve in warm pan until serving time.
6 Stir in 1 cup heavy cream; cook 5 more minutes. Taste, add salt to taste.
Ladle into warm soup bowls and top with sautéed mushrooms and a little of the melted butter. Serve with crusty warm bread for dipping as you eat.
From Eileen Widman’s Kitchen